Ephesians 5:25 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; How are the Brethren to love one another? As I have loved you. How does the husband loved his wife? as Christ loved the church. What’s the ultimate proof of that? giving up your life. Now is every husband supposed to run out of this place and stand in front of a car? No. But you realize that my purpose on earth is to give myself continually for the benefit of somebody else.
How to be a Godly man – Randy Skeete
Opening prayer –
Father in Heaven, I ask in the name of Jesus Christ put your words in my mouth. Father I’m naturally dirt, clay soil, but I’ve been asked to do a spiritual work. I ask for your divine help God, help me. Help me to restrain my opinions and only give to those whom you love, “thus saith the Lord”.
Thank you, dear God, for this high honor to mingle with your people in this way. Bless them. Bless every nationality represented. Bless the host country of the Australia. Put up on the minds of the leaders dear God a desire to make decisions that are righteous. Because righteousness exalteth a nation. Thank you for freedom of worship in this country. Blessed not only those before me, bless their families, bless their studies, provide their needs and let their lives bring others to you, in Jesus name, I pray. AmenLet me put a few words on the board – How various groups see the Bible
Here is where a lot of people go wrong:
- They study the bible through an Economic lens. And they see the Bible only as a champion of poor against rich and anything that goes across are away from poor and rich, they have nothing to do with it.
- There are others who see the Bible through an ethnic lens. White against Black. Whomever against whomever. And with this view, they look in the Bible to answer ethnic questions
- Another group views the Bible socially. This class against that class and they look for answers to the class problems because they view the Bible through a social lens
- Then there are those who view the Bible through a religious lens. Which church should dominate? should it be Islam, Hinduism whatever. They take a religious view. It is okay
- Then they those who take a gender view man against woman. They study the Bible that way and everything is seen in the light of men versus women, and of course in this modern world they seem to be more than two genders.
How should we see the Bible? I’m saying this before I get into the Godly man. This is not the way to study the Bible. When you do this, you set yourself up for misinterpretation however scholarly that may be. Here’s the context for studying the Bible: THE GREAT CONTROVERSY This is the context. This is the prism. This is the paradigm to be used when studying the Word of God. Because “the great controversy” explains all the items in the table above.
The items in the table do not explain “the great controversy”, but they provide the proper setting in which to understand the problem that exist at each level of those items which are levels that are subordinated to the “the great controversy”. I said that clumsily. Let me say it again. If you believe in the Bible, sin began when a being violated God’s Word or God’s law, and this being has been at war with God for thousands of years maybe millions we don’t know. It is “the great controversy” that helps us understand why there are conflict at economic, ethnic, social, religious and gender level.
The Bible is not to be studied from an ethnic perspective, even though it helps us understand. It is not to be studied from an economic point of view, it is to be studied from the perspective of an ongoing battle between the two highest powers in the universe: Christ and Satan and this battle is called The Great Controversy
Let’s go to Genesis chapter 2. Genesis 2 – let’s read verse 7. The Bible says and the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul. Let’s add to that Genesis 1:26 and God said let us make man in our image after our likeness. The word man includes men and women – that is Genesis 1:26. That is not the case in Genesis 2 verse 7. Let’s read that verse again and the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground.
- In Genesis 2:7, we have reference only to Adam not Eve. Let me say it differently. The creation that occurred in Genesis 2:7 was the creation of man. A man, Adam. Not Eve. Combining that with Genesis 1:26, we may correctly conclude that what happened in Genesis 2:7 was the creation of man in the image of God. Adam was directly made in the image of God a fulfillment of Genesis 1:26.
- Now in Genesis 2 21 to 22, we have Eve.
Alright, why? Why were they made the same time? When God made the animals in verse 24 to 25 of Genesis 1 24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. Male and female were made the same time when God made animals. When He made man, He made him at separate junctions in the same day. Why was that? God does nothing haphazardly or without purpose and reason.
1st Timothy chapter 2 we’re looking at the Godly man. This is not a gender presentation by the way, it is not and don’t listen through a gender mind or see through a gender lens don’t do that. You’ll do yourself a disservice and you deserve better than that. 1st Timothy 2, we read from verse 11, reading from the King James version 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. Now we have an indication as to why God created in the way He did. The man and then subsequently the woman and not together, as He did with the animals.
The priority or the primacy of Adam in the sense that he was made first it is one way of God telling Adam and telling Eve and telling us that the man occupies
- a position in creation
- a position of leadership
- a position of headship
- a position of service because divine headship, divine leadership is selfless service not tyrannical leadership.
Adam was first formed then Eve telling us that God gave to man a position of leadership, stewardship and service. Now if you read verse 26 I’ll let them have dominion, so both had Dominion but Adams position was different from that of Eve’s and this is indicated by the order in which they were made. I’m telling you what the Bible says this is not my opinion.
All right, Adam first then Eve. Adam a leader. Let’s go to chapter 2 verse 21- 22 21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made He a woman, and brought her unto the man.
Now, let’s look at the image of God in Eve as we consider a Godly man. This is not a gender presentation this is a study of the Bible.
From what part of Eve did God make Adam? None.
From what part of Adam did God make Eve? the rib.
Which means that when God made Adam, follow me closely, Adam received God’s image directly from God. Eve received God’s image through Adam. But it was the same image. God doesn’t have two images are you with me? God made Adam, placed His image directly in Adam. Are you with me? Alright. He made Eve from something out of Adam. How much of Adam was perfect and sinless when God made it? How much of it? all of it. Where was the image of God? in Adam. So, God takes something from Adam. Something from this sinless man. Something from this perfect man, material in which the image of God was placed. Are you following me? And from that material, from a man who had God’s image. Where was God’s image? in all of Adam. Out of that, He made Eve and she received the same image but through Adam. Now, if Adam had not sinned and Eve had not sinned, Cain would have been born how? Cain would have been born in the image of God. But through whom? Adam and Eve, but the same image. Are you with me?
Now this puts a tremendous burden on a man. This is not, oh I’m a man, I’m in charge, mm-mm! This puts tremendous burden on a man, when he becomes conscious that God has chosen him to be the mediator through whom his image was given to the woman. Because if he messes up, people suffer.
Let’s look at a Godly man
- He is aware of his place in society as God has arranged it.
- He’s a leader. But we know in God’s Way of thinking. A leader is a servant. And so, Jesus said or the Bible says of Christ even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto but to minister. This is Godly leadership and that’s how Adam was made
Now let’s look at a godly man again. Let’s go to Genesis chapter 3. Before I get into 3 from verse 6, let’s pray again:
Father in Heaven as I deal with this delicate subject, you tell me what to say how to say it and when. I humble myself, I deny myself. I am just a loudspeaker in your hand now speak through me dear God. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen
Verse 6 of Genesis 3 read with me 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. 7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
Let’s establish a chronology as we discussed the Godly man. Who sinned first? Eve. Sister Eve, sinned first
Listen to Roman’s 5 verse 12. We’re talking about the Godly man. He realizes he has a position of leadership which is a position of service. Service that requires sacrifice of self, as in the case of Christ.
Romans 5 reading verse 12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so, death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. Now, let’s look at that carefully.
Wait a minute who sinned first? Eve. Who introduced sin into the world? Eve. But, when you say Eve introduced sin into the world, now this is the world and this is Australia that’s New Zealand. Now, when I say Eve introduced sin into the world, she was the first person on earth to sin. This is Eve right here and this is her sin. Can you see her sin right here – red dot? It affected her and that was it. The verse doesn’t say where for as by one woman sin entered into the world. Sin did not enter the world organically when Eve sinned, it entered her. But when Adam sinned, sin entered the entire world. It affected the animals, vegetation begins to sprout thorns, we have herbs of the field, we have painful childbirth, we have sweat of thy brow to make a living, we have the earth that does not produce its bounties. When Adam sinned, the whole earth was affected. That was not the case when Eve sinned. So even though they were both made in the image of God, you can see the difference in responsibility because the world was placed essentially under Adam. When he fell, the whole world fell. When she fell, she alone fell.
Wherefore as by one man – I am talking about the godly man being aware of the tremendous responsibility that rests upon his shoulder.
Go to Romans 5 read verse 18, 18 Therefore, as through [a]one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one[b] Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Who was the disobedient one? Adam. What’s the offence from verse 18, Adam sinned. What does the Bible call Christ? Keep Adam in mind. Whose is Christ? The second Adam not the second Eve. Christ is the second or the last Adam. 1 Corinthians 15:45 and 47 – 45 And so it is written, the first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven. He is the second or the last Adam not the second or the last Eve. Because Christ did not come to redeem Eve’s fall, He came to redeem Adams fall. Why? Now, does Eve need the Redeemer? yes but if sin was just her, Adam’s sin was the problem to the whole creation.
When Christ comes back, go to second Peter 3, let the Bible tell you more clearly than I, to see how, what I’m trying to say. I want you to think as you listen. Think very rigorously when you study the Bible honestly God speaks to you. 2 Peter 3 let’s read verse 10 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Now why? Why does God have to do that? Give me one answer? Sin. Sin therefore affected not only the earth, it affected that part of the heavens associated with the earth and so the Bible says when Christ comes back, not only the earth but the heavens will burn.
Adam was made to carry heavy responsibilities, heavy. We’ve said he was made to be the leader that’s why he was made first. One of the reasons he was made first – he was made to be the leader with Eve at his side not under his feet. We’re talking about the Godly man. Adam was to manage creation with a consciousness that if he fell, all creation would fall with him. That is a serious burden to carry but it ought to make such a person sober and careful. If you fall, all creation falls with you, that’s not the case with her. Now as a leader, I said it is self-sacrificial service. We are looking at the godly man and as many Godly men you have wives and families.
Let’s go to Ephesians 5 we’ll read from verse 22 to 25. And again, this is not a gender discussion it is not a husband-wife discussion. It is a discussion of the Godly man okay and the devil wants to cause problems with that okay read with me 22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church STOP.
- The godly man understands that his headship must be based on the headship of Christ. What did Christ do for the church? He died. Did Christ abuse the church? No. Christ gave Himself. That’s a Godly man. Read again as unto to the Lord for the husband is a head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church finish that verse and he is the savior of the body.
Now let’s pause. We have, he is the savior of the body. Adam, Christ, the church Eve or the church woman.
- The husband is head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church
- Christ is also the savior of the body the body
- the church is the body of Christ
Now how do we apply that to Adam, the Godly man? Christ is the savior of the body. Christ cannot be the savior of the body by joining the body in sin. Christ is the savior of the body by trying to get the body out of sin.
Let’s go to Adam. Genesis 3 read from verse 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. Now stop. Let’s add to that what God told Adam in Genesis 3:17. Let’s look at Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam He said, because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake;
Now in Genesis verse 16 of chapter 3 the Bible says, she took of the fruit and did eat and gave also unto her husband with her, and he did eat. Verse 17 says God tells Adam, because you hearken unto the voice of your wife and join her in sin, I’m cursing the whole world. Then what is God telling Adam he should not have done? What should he have done? Let me ask that way. He should not have joined her. So, here she comes with the fruit. What would he have done? We know what he should not have done. He should not have joined her because then he ceased to be the Savior the body, he became the destroyer. His duty as a Godly man was to save the body. Adam carrying out his Godly duty should have said Eve, I love you, but I love God more. Let me talk to God about this. Let me intercede on your behalf and then we go and confess.
Ellen White writes – if Satan had repented, God would have restored him to his position. If Satan when he rebelled, Lucifer had repented, the only way you repent is if you have sinned. If after Lucifer sinned, had he repented, Christ would have restored him to his position. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. If he was willing to forgive Satan and restore him, couldn’t He do the same thing to Eve? Yes. But instead of Adam being the savior of the body which is what a Godly man should do for his wife and his family, Adam joined her in sin thereby placing his wife above God
Go to Josh for 24:15. Let’s look at a Godly man. Joshua 24 verse 15. Now, we must read microscopically. Let the words speak to us – 15And if it seems evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Now, I want you to look at Joshua’s words as we talk about the godly man. Joshua says as for me and my house. What does my house mean? The walls and the chairs? What does my house mean? The family. A family can be just you and your wife, is that a family? Yes. You don’t need children to have a family.
So, Joshua is saying, as for me and my family. Now, could he have said as for my house will serve the Lord? Would that have included him? Yes. Then why does he say as for me and my house? He has an individual choice even as a member of a family. So, what is Joshua saying, if my house does not serve God, I’ll serve him now that’s an individual choice even in a family setting. You know how many individuals cannot make that choice? They go as the family goes even if the family is wrong.
- A godly man stands for truth and does not move. If his wife goes off, he does not move but his heart breaks for her. He does everything he can to reclaim her, reclaim his children, reclaim his grandmother, his father. He does not move off that platform of truth, because God comes first to him then everyone else. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. But if my house decides not to serve God, I’m serving God.
- A Godly man puts God first however much it breaks his heart. He puts God first, not the family. Hard thing to say in a setting like this. Let me say it again, the Godly man puts God first. Let’s look at the ultimate Godly man – that’s Christ. Who is His woman? The church. The church has sinned, violated God’s law. Now Christ can try to change God’s law to accommodate His woman. Christ can appeal to the Father why don’t you lower your standards and make life easy for My woman. No, woman you’ve got to come up to God’s law. I’ll provide a way. I cannot change My Father standards. I cannot lower His law, you have to come up. I have found a way to bring you up – savior of the body.
- The Godly man spends a lot of time in prayer while his family is sleeping because he is the savior of the body. Remember Job, when his sons and daughters were eating, they would be eating frequently and drinking and whatever else they were doing. What did Job do? He offered prayers, just in case. Because Job realizes that’s my responsibility as the head of my home. He offered sacrifices just in case without even knowing if his sons and daughters had sinned. The Bible says just in case, peradventure they’ve sinned against God. He offered sacrifices on their behalf. That is the Godly man
- He has a concern for the salvation of the members of his family but a concern that does not lead to his destruction
Let’s go back to Ephesians 5:22-25. Let’s take an even more severe look at the Godly man. Reading from verse 22 – 22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and He is the savior of the body.24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it; We casually read verse 25, without realizing how tremendously deep this thing is. Go to John 15, we’re looking at the Godly man and the Bible says husband’s love your wives. How does a Godly man love his wife or his family or the members of the church because his influence goes all over John 15 let’s read verse 12 this is my commandment that ye love one another. Who is to love one another? The disciples. Christ is giving a long speech before He goes to Gethsemane. You look at 14 it’s almost all red letters, 15 red letters, 16 mostly red letters, 17 almost all red letters, 18 He is Gethsemane. These are the final words of the master. This is my commandment, I’m about to leave you, that ye love one another. But you tell me how? As I loved you.
Now we have HUMAN LOVE – love one another. What’s the standard for human love? divine love. The standard for human love is divine love. Love one another, how? How I loved you. How does Christ love us? Read verse 13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. That’s how I loved you. That’s how you love one another, be ready to die for one another. We are looking at the Godly man and his wife. Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Go to 1 John chapter 3: 16. This is the same John writing but a different book. He wrote 5 books – the Gospel of John, the three Epistles, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John and of course he wrote Revelation. 1 John 3:16 hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down his life for us. Now stop. Let’s look at that. What does hereby perceive we the love of God mean? This is how we can understand, not fully because no human being can fully understand something divine, but here’s how we get a grasp of God’s love by studying the fact that He died. Now finish the verse we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. Because we have to love one another, how? as Christ loved us, John 15:12, this is the same man. The greatest expression of love is the voluntary giving of life for someone else. Not being killed for someone else giving your life for someone else, those are two different things. Being killed is one thing, giving your life is something else even though it both leads to death. But hereby perceive we the love of God because He laid down his life for us, this is voluntary giving up and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. Now go back to John 15 read verse 12 this is my commandment stop. Not a suggestion. This is my commandment, keep reading, that ye love one another as I have loved you. This cover all ethnic groups, all economic levels, all genders.
Now having said that, let’s go to Ephesians 5:25 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; How are the Brethren to love one another? As I have loved you. How does the husband loved his wife? as Christ loved the church. What’s the ultimate proof of that? giving up your life. Now is every husband supposed to run out of this place and stand in front of a car? No. But you realize that my purpose on earth is to give myself continually for the benefit of somebody else.
So, the Godly man – this is a candle and this is the flame, are you with me? In order for this candle to give light what has to happen? the candle has to consume itself. The Godly man consumes himself first for God and how do you consume yourself for God by consuming yourself for others Why do I say that? Go to 1 John chapter 4 let’s read verse 20. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? So, what John is saying, God is connecting our love for Him through our love for our fellow man. You cannot separate love for God from love for fellow man they go together. We express our love for God by how we treat one another because we can’t see God. I can’t give God ten dollars to catch a bus. I can’t give God some French fries, I can give it to hungry person on the street. What does God say: in as much as you’ve done it unto one of the least of these my brethren you’ve done it to me and this is not symbolic. What is it? literal
Now, Ephesians 5:25, husbands love your wives. Is that a suggestion? Is that an idea? What is that? Command. Husbands love your wives even as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it. Now you answer this question. Can a man who loves like that hit his wife? No. Can he slap his wife around? No. You can’t do it. If this were obeyed in the church, there would be no wife abuse. The happiest women on earth should be the wives of Christian men. Now am I saying we’re perfect? Oh no, no. Husbands, we’re talking about the Godly man. Still this is not a gender discussion.
- The Godly man realizes, I have a heavy responsibility. I’m responsible for the supervision of the universe, creation. If I fall, creation falls. When someone senses that responsibility, what is the person driven to do? He turns to God. Because he realizes I cannot do this by myself. People salvation is somehow attached to me and that’s a biblical teaching. The Godly man lives with a tremendous sense of responsibility. The salvation of my family is somehow dependent on me. The happiness of my wife is somehow dependent upon me. How another man treats his wife is somehow dependent on me as he watches how I treat mine.
Go to Isaiah 53 read verse 7
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Alright, we’re looking at the Godly man. Now there is a condition from which sin is suffer that is worse than cancer. Here’s the condition, we drift so far from the truth that we come to the place where we view the truth as error or we can no longer recognize truth. Now in our society a strongman is someone you don’t mess with. Someone you don’t antagonize, don’t get on his wrong. That’s a strong man what’s that guy, he would knock you out with just a look.
- The Godly man is someone you push and he walks away. The Godly man someone you slap and he prays for you. Now we’re so far removed from biblical standards, when you see a man like that we call him a sissy. Who’s the strongest man who ever lived morally? Jesus Christ. Tell me what happened when they spat in his face? He never opened His mouth. The only way to live like that is to grab God and never let him go. That’s a Godly man. He takes abuse like Christ took abuse, whether from outside the family or within the family, on the job, on the bus.
- A godly man reflects Christ and how he handles suffering.
- A godly man is a gentle man – (Ellen White says – Christianity makes a man a gentleman)
Recap – What have we said about a Godly man thus far? A godly man what have we said about the godly man tonight?
- A Godly man will follow the example of Christ, because Christ was a Godly man in his human condition. It’s easy to be Godly when you are God. Did I speak the truth? yeah, it’s easy for God to be Godly but Jesus took in our fallen nature and He was Godly. Now He says to us, you can do it through Me
- A Godly man will stand for truth no matter what losses that brings to him. He will stand for truth against the whole world
- A Godly man has tremendous responsibility which leads him to do what? lean on God. So, when, the family is sleeping, what’s he doing? he’s in the bathroom praying. Now that’s how it should be. It shouldn’t be a Godly man sleeping while the wife is praying although she can do that don’t misunderstand me. But the Godly man surrounds his home with his prayers as Job did that for his family.
- A Godly man is self-sacrificial. That’s the Spirit of Christ by the way. The self-renouncing love is the law of life for Earth and heaven. Desire of Ages page 19 paragraph 2 – The law of self-renouncing love is a law of life for earth and heaven that was the love on Calvary that’s the love we must show. – That’s the love of a Godly man. I sacrifice myself for somebody else.
- A Godly man is gentle, he does not retaliate his strength is in his Godliness not in his muscles and his physicality his strength is in his Godliness. And so, when Christ was on the cross and He took the abuse, then Centurion said surely this man was the Son of God, by the way Christ handled abuse.
- A Godly man puts God first and there are no exceptions for that rule. There are no times when you can put Him second – you can put Him second, but it’s not acceptable to God. A Godly man keeps God first and that’s the best thing he can do for the family.
- A Godly man understands his headship position which is service not tyranny as Christ did
- A Godly man will suffer wrong, not do wrong.
- He intercedes for sinners. That’s what Adam should have done as the savior of the body. My brothers who are husbands, fathers, I’ll ask you a question as I asked myself don’t answer me, are we saviors of the body? or are the scars on the body the result of our misconduct and the scars need not be physical. Are we saviors? Are we godly men?
- The standard for everything human is divine. It’s an amazing concept that God thinks so highly of you that He sets divine standards for him. If God had no regard for you He’d set human standard but God thinks so highly of us, He sets divine standards for human beings. It’s like you know the Department of Education thinks so highly of a young man in high school they give him University work to do.
- What is the source of power for a Godly man – Christ, Holy Spirit, prayer and the Word of God. How else can he know what is right and wrong if he’s not in the word of God. The Godly man’s source of power is the Bible and his knees in prayer. So while the families are on a picnic and they’re jumping around the children running up and down the stairs playing with the toys and the wife is chatting with her friends, the Godly man is on his knees or not in here he is protecting his family and he never goes off duty because the enemy doesn’t need you to be off duty for month he just needs you off duty for a brief period so he can come in lay the charge and leave, then the explosion goes off.
My friends, my brothers, ladies forgive me, my brothers – married or unmarried, men or men, and God’s expectation of a man is the same,
- let us try to be Godly men.
- let us be aware of what God expects of us.
- let us be aware of our families and expect of us
- let us be aware of what society should expect of us regardless of age and if we have little boys teach them what a godly man is like
- let the Word of God be our source of power
- let our families finding us a refuge from the cares and stripes of this a refuge
A Godly man should choose a Godly woman but to recognize a Godly woman to look beyond the mascara and the pretty nails and the 12 inch heels the Godly man has to be in the Bible so his eyes are clear, so he can see a Godly woman.
Gentlemen God bless your lives. I mean it from my heart. May God, bless you. You know young men in this world – I used to be a young man long time ago I forgot when that was, but because of television and the sports figures and movies and magazines we have a corrupt view of what an upright man is. But I pray that you would find your model in Jesus Christ. Study His life and he who studies the life of Christ and seeks by the indwelling power of the Spirit of God to emulate that life cannot help but be a blessing and have an entrance into God’s kingdom when he comes.
How many of you my brothers would like to be in God’s kingdom when he comes? Can I see your right hand? One more question hands down, how many of you will try, how many of us will try to be a Godly man? can I see your stand up with me please. Ladies God, bless you. Thanks for coming we’ll say a word of Prayer. Before I pray let me ask my brothers, does anyone have any prayer requests? You know a lot of people would love to serve God but they’re afraid of what the family says.
Luke 1 let’s read verse 13. Let’s pray before we read: Father as we look at this brief section of the word, please continue to be with us and speak to us I pray, in Jesus name. Amen
Read verse 13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. Now an angel appeared to Zacharias and told him your wife will have a son. You’ve been praying, we’ve heard you, she will have a son. Now let’s go to verse 57 of Luke 1. I’m thinking what my brother said, he wants to baptized, his spirits will allow him. Now listen very carefully to what we’re reading because this may apply to many more people than we are willing to make it publicly known. Verse 57 Now Elisabeth’s full time came that she should be delivered; and she brought forth a son 58 And her neighbors and her cousins heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her. So, it’s a happy occasion. Read verse 59 59 And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father. You pause right there.
They wanted to call him Zechariah, but what did the angel tell the father in verse 13? call him John. Look at verse 59 again what does it say? verse 58 and 59 58 And her neighbors and her cousins heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her. Now those who are most influential in our lives are our relatives and friends. We care what relatives think. We care what friends think. Her relatives and her neighbors they came to rejoice with her. Now read verse 59 59 And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father They have come eight days later. They have all come for the circumcision – the relatives and the friends those with great influence on us to circumcise him and what name did they suggest? Zacharias – for a very good reason call him after his father. Read verse 60 60 And his mother answered and said, not so; but he shall be called John. So, now to whom is she saying not so? to her friends. Now this is one woman up against all her relatives and all her friends. What is she standing for God and God’s Word. God said John all her friends, all her relatives said Zachariah. She said no.
Now it’s hard to say no to your family, it’s hard to say not your friends but when God speaks we must risk being ostracized by family and friends to stand for God, she said no his name is John. Read verse 61 61 And they said unto her, there is none of thy kindred that is called by this name. In other words you are going against what? Tradition. We don’t call our sons John.
In all my travels, it is sad to say, I find Christians more committed to tradition than the truth. It’s my culture even though it’s not in the Bible. They are more committed to culture than to Christ. It’s my culture so they use that argument against Elizabeth, there is none of thy kindred that is called, what are you doing who are you to go against tradition.
Now my brother in a difficult position. God has convicted you to get baptized, your family says no you have a choice to make now is it easy no do you know what choice you should make yes
I was in Uganda speaking few years ago, and a 16-year-old girl came to me she was a Muslim. She said pastor I have learned things I never knew thank you. I have made a decision to be baptized be a Christian Adventist she said I don’t care what my family says. I’m getting baptized I didn’t know what to say I was so taken aback by this courage 16 years old. You know it’s one thing to go against a Christian family it’s another thing to go against a Muslim family.
On that same a couple years later to the same country of Uganda I did a preaching series this young lady decided me baptized her family said to her if you get baptized we will cut you out of the will we will no longer pay your tuition will cut you off. Now people see education as their salvation this is my job this is my salary then I can buy a house get a wife a car and 2.5 children. That’s how people think. She told them mom, dad, cut me off, disown me, but I have to be baptized. She got baptized, they cut her off and then they watched her. A year later they called her. When they saw, she would not buckle and she suffered the abuse and neglect, they said, they restored everything to her. They realize nothing they did could change her mind. She is still faithful in the church today. God may be calling you to save your family. Again, it’s not easy but ask God for strength to do what’s right. He may be calling you to save your family.
Now final verse – John 7 verse 5. Now you will find this very amazing or surprising not amazing surprising in the life of Christ. Here’s what the Bible 5 For neither did his brethren believe in him. Wait a minute, the family of Jesus at some point in his life did not believe in Him. Go to Luke chapter 2. Luke 2 that’s when they found Jesus in the temple. Let’s go to verse 48 48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? Stop. What is she saying? what are you doing to us? Your family will say to you what are you doing to us by being baptized. You embarrass us, we are all Buddhists! Families use that argument and is so successful, what are you doing to us? you’re embarrassing us before the village. Verse 49 And he said unto them, how is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business? Now listen to verse 50 50 And they understood not the saying which He spake unto them.,sel Listen to me, the mother of Jesus handpicked by God to be mother to the Savior did not understand Jesus. His brothers John 7:5 didn’t believe in Him. Christ understand what it means to be the only person in a family that serves God fully and you’re in that position. Jesus understands that. So, when you talk to God you say Father my family is against me, He says my son I know because Jesus had the same experience. You pray, ask God for strength. Anyone else in that position, I’ll pray for you but make up your mind to do what’s right. Now.
Our Father in Heaven we thank you for this night. We thank you for the beauty of your word, the power of your word. Dear God, I ask you to bless my brothers who are present. In their hearts is a desire to do what is right in your sight. Many of us are husband’s, many of us are fathers. Please let us focus our mind on the Godly man and the ideal Godly man is Jesus Christ. Let us emulate His life. Let us be aware of the tremendous burden of leadership which is self-sacrificing service dear God. Let our lives as Godly men bring the sunshine of joy to our wives, our children, our communities, our churches. Let our lives hasten the coming of Christ. Bless my young brother who wants to be baptized but he’s concerned about what the family says. Bless my other brother whose father’s not well. Place your healing hand on him and any other requests not spoken. Be merciful I pray dear God.
As we leave, let angels escort us safely. Watch over us as we sleep, bring us back tomorrow to hear your word again. I offer this prayer in Jesus name. Let God’s people say Amen and amen.
God, bless you please travel safely and we’ll see you tomorrow.